59 School Street, Box 1310, Edgartown MA 02539 - 508.627.4441
Martha's Vineyard Museum MV Museum

Before the Regional High School, there were three high schools on the island: Edgartown, Oak Bluffs and Tisbury. Their teams only played against each other and had very few off island games. When the schools came together in 1959, students were afraid of losing their town identities.

 

1946 Oak Bluffs High School Girl's Basketball Team

Seated (l-r): Betty Brown, Louise Doughty, Doris Perry, Lillian (Ricci) Cook, Joan Golden, Priscilla Earle.

Standing (l-r): Carol Carr, Barbara Ricci, Carolyn Ripley, Barbara Pond, Phil Amaral, Virginia Hodgton and coach David Dix.

 

 

 

 

 

 

1915 Tisbury High School Boy's Basketball Team

Seated (l-r): Frank Carroll, Donald Swift, "Chicken" Baptiste, Charlie Merrill, and Gene Smith.

Standing (l-r): Bill Powell (manager), Theodore Hughes, Jessie Oliver, Marshall McDonough, and Mr. Dunlap (coach and principal)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

NEXT: To the 1960s