Island Faces Portrait Contest
October 1, 2014—June 1, 2015
In Collaboration with the Featherstone Center for the Arts
For this exhibition, the Martha's Vineyard Museum is once again holding an open competition inviting people to submit a portrait of someone from Martha's Vineyard. We invite you to explore the faces of the Island through the eyes of others in this unique exhibition that includes artist statements about the subjects. A panel of judges from the Island's art community will choose first, second, and third place. The results will be made part of an exhibition opening at the Museum on September 1, 2015.
Rules for the Portrait Contest:
- The contest is open to the public, ages 15 and up.
- The artwork must be a two-dimensional painting, drawing, photograph, or mixed media (no larger than 3’ by 3’).
- The artwork must be a new work, created in 2014 or 2015.
- The artwork must depict a Martha’s Vineyard resident, either year-round or seasonal. It can also be a self-portrait.
- Participants must submit a high-resolution jpeg of their artwork (300 dpi or higher) no later than June 1, 2015 for the first round of judging. Please send all images and contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org or bring/send to the Museum on a cd or flash drive.
- The artwork must be accompanied by an artist's statement describing the relationship between the artist and the subject, the subject and the Island, and why this person was chosen by the artist for a portrait (no more than 200 words).
- The entry fee is $25. The Museum will award cash prizes for the winning portraits of the juried contest.
The public will once again be able to vote on a separate “People’s Choice” category once all the entries are received. The winners of this portion of the contest will be featured at Featherstone Center for the Arts in November 2015.
If you have any questions about the contest, please contact Assistant Curator Anna Carringer at email@example.com or 508-627-4441 x114.