What could be more unforgettable than getting married or having a private party in the shadow of one of the Island's historic lighthouses? In 1993, the Martha's Vineyard Museum assumed the care and maintenance of the East Chop, Edgartown, and Gay Head Lighthouses. We encourage the use of these facilities for weddings and private functions.
Things to consider before making your lighthouse reservation:
- The fee for use is $300 per hour for groups of 10 or fewer and $400 per hour for larger groups. When figuring your time use, please calculate the anticipated time from "gate" opening until "gate" closure. Such time would include the delivery and prompt pickup of any chairs.
- No tents, portable toilets, alcohol, balloons, or wedding receptions are allowed.
- If you are planning on using outside ares, please have a backup plan in case of inclement weather. Small groups can fit inside the base or lantern levels (varying according to the lighthouse).
- You may have chairs and quiet music at your event. Any music requires a 100 foot extension cord.
- Minimal decorations are allowed, but not recommended.
- Each lighthouse will be open during the time of your event for the private enjoyment of you and your guests.
- Events cannot be scheduled during times that the lighthouses are open to the public.
- Rehearsals are permitted, but will be included in your reservation fee.
- To reach the lantern levels and top outside areas at Edgartown and East Chop Lights, access is via a small ladder and trapdoor. Heels and very tight or purffy gowns may hinder access.
- The lighthouse will be closed to the public ifor the private enjoyment of your event. The surrounding areas are public parkland and there will often be people who are interested in the fact that a wedding is occurring. They are likely to take photos from afar. If this is a concern, please let the lighthouse attendant know in advance.
East Chop Lighthouse: Information, Rules and Regulations
- Lighthouse Location: Telegraph Hill, East Chop Drive, Oak Bluffs, MA 02557
- Events cannot be scheduled during the times that the lighthouse is open to the public. For specific hours, visit the East Chop Lighthouse page.
- The lighthouse is located in a residential neighborhood where parking is very limited. We suggest renting a bus to transport your guests to the lighthouse.
- For an event with guests of 50 or more, you will need to contact the police department for the Town of Oak Bluffs, and arrange for a detail officer for the longevity of event.
Edgartown Lighthouse: Information, Rules and Regulations
- Lighthouse Location: North Water Street, Edgartown, MA 02539
- Events cannot be scheduled during the times that the lighthouse is open to the public. For specific hours, visit the Edgartown Lighthouse page.
- The lighthouse is located down a long sandy path. Parking at the head of the path is very limited. We suggest renting a bus to transport your guests to the path. Please note that access may be difficult for those with limited mobility.
- The lighthouse is surrounded by public property. We can reserve the lighthouse, but we cannot close the adjacent beach area to the public.
- If you are interested in using the beach only, with no access to the lighthouse, contact the Edgartown Parks Department at (508) 627-6145. The town policy allows a small party, no tents, porta-potties, limited chairs, no liquor, and no bonfires. Keep in mind that the beach is public and cannot be closed for private use.
Gay Head Lighthouse: Information, Rules and Regulations
- Lighthouse Location: 9 Aquinnah Circle, Aquinnah, MA 02535
- Events cannot be scheduled during the times that the lighthouse is open to the public. For specific hours, visit the Gay Head Lighthouse page.
- There is very limited, expensive parking at the lighthouse. We suggest renting a bus to transport your guests. The immediate host, as well as guests needing assistance, may be dropped off at the gate, but cars must then be moved to the local parking area.
- Please note: Due to the relocation of the lighthouse, we expect the 2015 opening to be delayed until July 1. The new site will accommodate up to 20 people. The adjacent parkland, due to open in 2016, can accommodate larger groups and can be rented simultaneously with the Lighthouse. Please call Betsey Mayhew at the Museum for additional information, 508-627-4441 x112.
To rent one of the lighthouses or the Museum campus, contact:
Martha's Vineyard Museum
P.O. Box 1310
Edgartown, MA 02539
Phone: 508-627-4441 x110