Reporting Responsibilities: Chief Curator
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
FLSA Status: Non-exempt, Hourly Compensation, Year Round, Part-Time
Essential Responsibilities: The responsibilities listed below are those that represent the majority of time spent working in this position. Management may assign additional tasks related to the type of work of the position as necessary.
- Assist library and archive patrons with research inquiries and answers email and postal research inquiries.
- Train and supervise library volunteers and interns and provide research assistance to museum staff.
- Assist with ongoing archival projects and help to update existing finding aids to archival collections.
Lighthouse Visitor Guides
Reporting to the Lighthouse Program Manager, guides will be responsible for daily operations and visitor services at the Gay Head Lighthouse and Edgartown lighthouses, mid-June through mid-October. Duties include greeting visitors, handling admissions, interpreting history of the lighthouse and the Island, and daily cleanup. Full time and/or part time seasonal hourly positions for mature, responsible individuals. Ability to stand for long periods of time and lift 30 lb. necessary. Saturday, Sunday and evening hours required. EOE.
- Open the tower to the public daily (10 am-5 pm) and for sunset visits on Friday and Saturday evenings.
- Collect admissions income and keep accurate attendance records noting number of adults and children visiting the lighthouse. Maintain accurate cash drawer and attendance income.
- Present the history of the lighthouse and the Island in an accurate and engaging manner.
- Maintain visitor safety and structural cleanliness. Sweep stairs and landing areas daily. Monitor potential wet and slippery spots and remove any standing water.
- The guides may also be asked to assist with private events and tours at the lighthouse.
- Guides should be flexible, patient, comfortable with people, honest, and passionate about the lighthouses.
Submit letter of interest, qualifications and 3 personal references to email@example.com.