Assistant Manager for Development and Membership Services
Reporting Responsibilities: Director of Development and Membership, Marketing and Events Manager
Supervisory Responsibilities: Interns
FLSA Status: Exempt (Professional), Full-Time, Year-Round
The assistant manager for development and membership services is a crucial member of the development and membership-marketing team. S/he supports the director of development and the membership, marketing, and events manager with high-level administrative assistance in the areas of database management, special events, publications/publicity, and general workflow organization. Must be able to make independent and critical judgment. Also, must be willing to work outside of normal business hours, including occasional nights and weekends, and to see time-sensitive projects through to conclusion, often working against a deadline.
- Development: The associate provides administrative support for the annual fund and pledges, capital campaign, and cultivation/ awareness and fundraising events. Examples of duties include: prepare correspondence for director and executive director's signatures; prepare and maintain accurate development events invitation and RSVP lists; produce annual appeal letters and organize the mailings; maintain and expand the database (eTapestry); record and acknowledge each gift in a timely fashion (2-3 days upon receiving it); wherever possible, personalize the appeal for current donors and new prospects; prepare tracking reports for the annual fund and provide first-level analysis; maintain accurate records of capital campaign cabinet meetings and next steps.
- eTapestry: Maintain database through continuously updating deceased and change of address records and researching accurate contact information for accounts; research and enter new prospects; organize and expand the database and enter coding including, contacts, notes, and events; track constituents using the Moves Management module; prepare as needed background reports for solicitation/cultivation meetings; maintain an accurate record of multi-year pledges, payments, reminders, and acknowledgements.
- Special and Programmatic Events: Oversees tickets sales for special events, logging and tracking reservations, preparing follow-up correspondence for special events, and assisting with the planning, preparation, and execution for special and programmatic events.
- Membership: The associate will record new members, process renewal forms, and send out renewal notices and lapsed member mailings. Responsible for making sure members receive their membership benefits, including the Intelligencer, and [the] Messenger, as well as informational mailings as required and any materials supporting special events. Maintain membership database on e-Tapestry proactively, produce monthly membership reports, and add/append data. Assist manager to help identify better prospects and targets for future. Train partner resource(s) (Administrative Coordinator, volunteers and others) to understand and interpret database. Work with Marketing, Membership, and Events Manager to develop marketing strategies for membership campaigns both for individuals and families and also business organizations. Schedule summer sails on the Museum's catboat VANITY for qualifying members.
- Marketing: Provide administrative support for any brochures and publications related to Development, Membership, Marketing and Special Events, including the Annual Report; prepare and send weekly and special email blasts.
Qualifications: Excellent communication, computer, and analytical skills. Facility in database management. Ability to gain and keep confidences, and ability to think and work independently within guidelines. Attentiveness to detail and a passion for accuracy. Appreciation of the museum's mission and its need to secure charitable funding and to build audience.
Education and Experience: A bachelor's degree in a liberal arts or business subject [preferred]. Minimum of three-to-five years' experience in an office setting (preferably within a non-profit). Prior experience in development, membership, and/or marketing functions strongly preferred.
Application Instructions: Please send resume, cover letter, and list of references to Betsey Mayhew, firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.