Reporting Responsibilities: Chief Curator
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
FLSA Status: Non-exempt, Hourly Compensation, Year Round, Part-Time
Essential Responsibilities: The responsibilities listed below are those that represent the majority of time spent working in this position. Management may assign additional tasks related to the type of work of the position as necessary.
- Assist library and archive patrons with research inquiries and answers email and postal research inquiries.
- Train and supervise library volunteers and interns and provide research assistance to museum staff.
- Assist with ongoing archival projects and help to update existing finding aids to archival collections.
Lighthouse Visitor Guides
Reporting to the Lighthouse Program Manager, guides will be responsible for daily operations and visitor services at the Gay Head Lighthouse and Edgartown lighthouses, mid-June through mid-October. Duties include greeting visitors, handling admissions, interpreting history of the lighthouse and the Island, and daily cleanup. Full time and/or part time seasonal hourly positions for mature, responsible individuals. Ability to stand for long periods of time and lift 30 lb. necessary. Saturday, Sunday and evening hours required. EOE.
- Open the tower to the public daily (10 am-5 pm) and for sunset visits on Friday and Saturday evenings.
- Collect admissions income and keep accurate attendance records noting number of adults and children visiting the lighthouse. Maintain accurate cash drawer and attendance income.
- Present the history of the lighthouse and the Island in an accurate and engaging manner.
- Maintain visitor safety and structural cleanliness. Sweep stairs and landing areas daily. Monitor potential wet and slippery spots and remove any standing water.
- The guides may also be asked to assist with private events and tours at the lighthouse.
- Guides should be flexible, patient, comfortable with people, honest, and passionate about the lighthouses.
Submit letter of interest, qualifications and 3 personal references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Marketing and Events Intern
Reports to the Marketing, Membership, and Events (MME) manager and works closely with the Assistant Development Manager, Administrative Coordinator, and other summer interns, the marketing and events intern:
- Works with the MME manager to ensure successful event planning and execution including all details of set-up and takedown.
- Assists in developing, distributing, and monitoring promotional materials for the Museum and Museum related events.
- Collaborates on several fundraising events throughout the summer.
- Supports the ongoing promotion of membership including sales and solicitation programs to individual and business members.
- Assists in executing the on-going advertising campaign including: print, radio, email, posters, on-line, etc.
- Assumes responsibility for ensuring Museum materials are stocked at designated island locations, i.e. Chamber of Commerce, visitor centers, hotels, libraries, etc.
Flexibility of hours and scheduling is required as events vary. Must have strong interpersonal and organizational skills. Must be experienced in Microsoft Office with some graphic design experience helpful. Must have car for duration of summer. Stipend available.