59 School Street, Box 1310, Edgartown MA 02539 - 508.627.4441
Martha's Vineyard Museum MV Museum
MVM Campus

Gay Head Cliffs
Address: 9 Aquinnah Circle, Aquinnah

The Gay Head Lighthouse is open seasonally. A lighthouse keeper will be available and the doors will be open during designated hours. Parking is available, but limited, on Aquinnah Circle. The Vineyard Transit Authority (VTA) busses do have routes to the lighthouse.


Read the Martha's Vineyard Magazine's "Illuminating Lighthouses"
for more on the historical and cultural significance of the Light

Len Butler, Chairman of the Relocation Subcommittee for Save the Gay Head Lighthouse, gave an exclusive look at the preparations that were made to get the Lighthouse ready for her historic move in this video.

2016 Schedule

Open weekends May 28 – June 19 & Memorial Day, 11am-4pm.
Open daily June 20 – Oct. 10, 11am-4pm.

All hours are weather permitting.
Admission is $5.00 for adults. Museum members and children under 12 are free.


MOVING the gay head light

Click here for a timelapse video of the relocation and restoration project. The Museum is steward of the Lighthouse.


Group Visits and Private Rentals

FlipKey Featured Destination


To schedule group visits, please contact Alison Levy at 508-627-4441 x110. For more information about weddings or private parties, visit our Lighthouse Rentals page.